redumbrella

Friday, September 08, 2006

Five Foods To Eat Before You Die MEME

I was sent this MEME by Melissa from Tummy Rumbles this morning and I'm on to it straight away because I couldn't wait. I've been wanting someone to ask me for my favourite foods/tastes for so long that I had them ready. I have many more than this list but because it's FIVE, I have put them into my own food group classification.


FISH...I can still taste the "Halibut with Prawn Sauce" from a little pub in Hull U.K. in 1974 and the "Steamed Sea Bass with Thyme" home cooked at my sister's place in1984. But unfortunately both these species are now seriously endangered and so if I want you to eat something before you die, and not endanger them further, please buy some MUSSELS from the Mussel Shop in Port Arlington on the Bellarine Peninsula. The season has started and the little beauties can be bought for $4 a kilo. I have eaten many mussels but these have been the best in Oz.

MEAT...I love roast chicken and minced beef in particular but my most memorable taste was something called "Bokkie". This was a goat steak about the size of a small schnitzel. It had been barbecued over wood embers and we ate it under starlight in a prospectors camp in Namibia. I dont know how you can replay this one but you could try a BBQ outside one warm evening soon. Goat meat can be bought around Melbourne. As far as I can remember, it was quite crusty and brown on the outside and only just cooked through and I have absolutely no idea what bit of goat it was.

VEGETABLES...By now you will have noticed my colour co-ordination!
There is only one answer for this section. JERSEY ROYAL NEW POTATOES. These are worth a trip to U.K. for, in their spring. The first ones come in by air from the Island of Jersey in the British Channel ( Le Manche, si vous est Francais). They cost a fortune and are worth every penny. They can only be eaten washed/scrubbed, boiled and then with butter and a light sprinkling of a non invasive herb such as chervil or young parsley.

DAIRY/EGGS...I've often wondered what I could live without most easily. I'll go for a combination cooked by myself as the easiest, tastiest and most delicious quick meal and that way I wont have to give up anything. A MELTING CHEESE OMELETTE MADE WITH FREE RANGE EGGS AND CHEESE SUCH AS MILAWA GOLD, IN A PAN WITH LOTS OF BUTTER.

SWEET...The most memorable sweet taste I have ever had was a HONEYDEW MELON that lived up to its name in 1996. I had to go and wake up someone else to come and taste it for breakfast, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining it. This is probably the most difficult taste to replicate. So many melons, cantaloupes etc taste so BOOOOORING these days I have almost given up buying them. Hey and what does Banana taste like ? Now I know what those children felt like when they got their first ever bananas in England after WW2. My mother used to buy them and cut them into slices about the size of a lolly and we got a couple each.

I shall now send this on to five more "happy" recipients. I dont think there are any rules about the number five so if you are not on this list and want to be please let me know. I suppose you can also claim to hate food and renege.

Taphophile at Unravelled
Beverley at yarNZ4knitters
Becky at Moonlight Frogger
Sue at Knitter Sue
Dot at Twisted Stitches

Cheers for now Gillian

4 Comments:

  • Oh Jerseys with a knob of butter and just a sprig of mint..perfection !

    By Blogger Angie, At 4:47 AM  

  • I so would have tagged you if I knew about you. Just found you on the Aussie Food Blogger ring. Great list. Mmmm, eggs & cheese, that's always good!

    By Blogger neil, At 5:29 PM  

  • Thank you for the tip about adding lace to the neckline of the Simple Knitted Bodice. I'm removing the current ribbed edging and I'll try inserting a lace panel in the existing "v". Mmmm, your food list is making me hungry. Eating is one of my favorite hobbies!

    By Blogger Heide, At 4:14 PM  

  • Meat and vegetables and dairy is my thing. don't eat carbs or sugar. keeps me well.
    Not particulalry into fish, except prawns and shell fish.
    The picture of your home make sme feel homsecik sort of. Did I tell you I grew up in Albury NSW?

    John would love your marmalade!
    bw
    colin

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home