redumbrella

Friday, August 25, 2006

Roasting Chicken in a Wood-Fired Oven

One of the things I wanted really badly when we bought this 1930s weatherboard in Bacchus Marsh, was to have a woodstove/oven in the chimney in the kitchen. I managed to get a Nectre Baker's Oven and you can see it roasting a chicken for tea. The wood is burning in the top half and the chicken is roasting away in the bottom half.
There is absolutely no control that I have worked out yet. There are three heats. Hot, very hot and hell!
Kittykate has been to the Vet because of a wound on her tail which has not healed. $55.50 later we are at home with 5 tablets!
One of the things that happened way back on my birthday in May was that Robert bought me a wok, which has been great but he knew I really wanted a new OVEN GLOVE THING. So he got me the best! And then I went and got a roasting pan and now I want more of this stuff

The chicken was roasting in the smallest of the pans, with a rack inside. It was great. I must admit though, that the wood oven is small and I did the oven chips in the electric oven on one of those pizza pans with holes in the bottom. There is another oven shelf to insert in the wood oven but it's all a tight fit. You could survive quite well with it as a cooking medium, but you'd need to do a lot of planning.
More Scanpans for me as soon as I can afford them.
Cheers Gillian

4 Comments:

  • I hope Kitty Kate gets better soon. Looks as though you will need a bigger kitchen soon with all of your cooking goodies.

    By Blogger Sue, At 5:08 PM  

  • Oh that wood fire looks so cosy, I really miss my wood fire, you just can't beat the warmth all night long with them, I use to have hot water going all the time for tea/coffee etc, sometimes even cooked a casserole on top. That wood fire you have looks great for cooking in.

    By Blogger Ruby Girl, At 6:29 AM  

  • Your Cat is gorgeous.

    By Blogger Angie, At 11:33 AM  

  • Poor Miss Kitty Kate! I hope the pills help her heal quickly. How wonderful to have a woodstove that you can cook in! I've never seen one here in the states, but it seems so practical and makes tons of sense. I love the temperature settings you've described.

    By Blogger Heide, At 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home