redumbrella

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What a Wind-up!

This is the dyed skein on the swift. Once again I hung the long skein from two door handles at each end of the passage and walked carefully back and forth winding onto the niddy-noddy as I went. From the niddy-noddy, I loaded it onto the swift. I bought both the swift and the niddy-noddy on ebay. The swift is an old one and cost about $20 two years ago, because no-one seemed to know what it was. The niddy-noddy is a new one and was about the same or less and the bloke had more.

From the swift I wound it on the ball-winder. I bought this about three years ago from Wondoflex for $80 plus p&p. I was done and I knew it, but I was desperate to have one. The sad thing is that Wondoflex is now "off" my list of places to go. It is possible to buy them on ebay for $40+ depending on how lucky you are and be careful to check postage.

Ebay is getting really professional now and the old, amateur garage-sale atmosphere has gone. In the early days I was quoted postage which turned out to be a bit too high so the woman sent me some stamps as a rebate! Now people charge for putting stuff in an envelope and call it a "handling fee".


Here is the complete ball from the winder sitting next to the remains of the original white Bendigo Mills wool. The dyed ball weighs just over 100gm so should be plenty for a pair of socks and all you need to do to match up the stripes is start with the same colour again.

So here I am in my favourite knitting spot on the back verandah, enjoying a wonderful calm and sunny Autumn day and ignoring the second red sock!

Will the second red sock ever see a foot or will it be for ever a UFO?

5 Comments:

  • Gillian, that yarn is just beautiful - you did a great job dyeing it! Can't wait to see the sock that it becomes :)

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 3:28 AM  

  • Gillian, that is some of the most gorgeous yarn ever! You truly have a talent at dyeing. The red sock is reminescent of Christmas and it can wait... in the meantime go with the yarn that's calling to you!

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:45 AM  

  • Gillian, your dyed sock yarn looks gorgeous. Cannot wait to see the finished sock. How inspirational.

    By Blogger Sue, At 4:52 PM  

  • The yarn is so great! I can't wait to see it knit up.

    And, um... I know I live in Canada but can I come sit on your veranda and knit? It looks so lovely!

    By Blogger Lori, At 8:45 AM  

  • Hello Gillian,
    I just did a cut and paste from the person who tagged me and then typed in my answers over hers. As far as I can tell you're supposed to use the same questions. I've not comleted too many of these myself, so I'm not completely certain as to how they work. Happy May Day!

    By Blogger Heide, At 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home