redumbrella

Sunday, May 06, 2007

New lambs...New life

I have spent the last week settling into a flat in Wolsingham in Weardale. The view from my sitting room window shows the old market place which is now a car park for the town centre. The farmland and moors are in the background. There are delightful flocks of black-faced sheep with lambs all around at the moment. Some white, many patchy and some truly black. It makes me yearn for a spinning wheel again. I'm combing ebay already and will put a notice in the window of the local hardware shop which seems to be the spot for personal ads.
It is a very pretty town and although it is small it has an amazing array of services with everything from a butcher and a post office through to a Doctor and three pubs. The weather has been wonderful since I moved in and although the English are as concerned about global warming as anyone else, I think they are quietly pleased at what they see as an improvement to their climate.


This picture shows the road into town from a place called Tow Law which is one of the highest towns in England. Most of the buildings are built from the locally quarried stone and I am hoping to be able to buy one of the traditional cottages when my house in Australia sells. Everything is very much more expensive in England but I shall just have to live with it and must give up mentally translating all the pounds into dollars when I shop. It is too distressing.


The last shipment of my stuff from Australia is due to arrive on Thursday and it includes the pots and pans and plates ad glasses as well as many other necessities. I haven't cooked much yet and have managed with one plate, one bowl and a saute pan. Luckily I live above a cafe and next door to the bakery.
I got broadband on a couple of days ago and that has created serious inroads into my sock knitting time. I have done some ebay browsing and general googling to see what's on arond the place. Is there anyone nearby who loves to knit and spin? I hope to do some dyeing again too.

The batteries in the camera ran out so when I get some more I shall take pics of the sheep and lots of other nature marvels. I have started a collection of pressed wild flowers because there were so many I could not identify as I walked along the river bank the other evening.

I hope you are all well and events are keeping you busy and happy. Looking forward to hearing from you all.
Cheers Gillian

ps there is a lovely site on Wolsingham at http://www.wolsingham.net

8 Comments:

  • Gillian, I am so happy to hear that you've found a flat and that your belongings will finish arriving soon. I'm sure that you'll meet many new and wonderful people in your new town. What a beautiful, clean little place to live. It looks just like a fairy tale! Hugs from afar.

    By Blogger Heide, At 2:37 PM  

  • HI Gillian

    So glad to hear again from you. I have been checking in daily so was so pleased to see your posts and to hear from you on mine.

    Your flat looks lovely and I am looking forward to hearing about all your new projects. I am sure you will soon find some knitting friends. The English knitting mags have info re contacts.

    I know one place I will visit if I ever make it to England. :)

    Cheers Beverley

    By Blogger Beverley, At 3:52 PM  

  • Gillian it is so good to hear from you again. I do miss being able to drive around and visit you. I hope your house sells soon too so you can buy a gorgeous cottage to live in. The town where you are seems so quaint and just the right place to acheive lots of knitting. I am sure that soon you will make some lovely knitting friends, and spinning ones too, and that now you have the freedom to enjoy your life just as should you be able to. I will wait and see when you post again to see what you have been creating, and the wonderful sites you talk about too.

    By Blogger Sue, At 5:55 PM  

  • What a beautiful place to live. And spring is a good time to start fresh. I'm glad you are enjoying your new home -- and that you checked in with all your cyber friends. :)

    By Blogger Becky, At 4:25 PM  

  • What a gorgeous little town. Your pictures are lovely. I can see the difference in light quality - do you notice it?

    I have started spinning recently, although I am too far away to spin with you!

    By Blogger amanda j, At 4:34 PM  

  • It looks beautiful and peaceful Gillian, how nice to live somewhere that looks so lovely, and right next door to a bakery, even better.

    By Blogger Ruby Girl, At 3:47 PM  

  • Now that's the sort of scenery and housing I remember from my previous life..............that as a pommy still living in England. I do miss it, but as I now have grown children and grandchildren here, I'm never likely to return to England for any length of time.

    By Blogger Sue H, At 5:58 PM  

  • Hi Gillian, thanks for your comment on my blog and welcome to the Durham Dales! There are four different knitting groups that meet locally, and some of us do spin as well. You would be very welcome to come along and join us.
    There are details on the different groups at:
    http://countydurhamknitting.blogspot.com/
    Hope to meet you sometime :)
    Carrie Anne

    By Blogger acrylik, At 3:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home