redumbrella

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Limericks and Odes to Knitting

Kitty has been trying to work out how to get the gas-log heater to work. She has discarded the alpaca blanket that I knitted her and is looking for the "on mechanism". She can't get through the glass or she would be inside it .













I got Robert to light the woodstove so that we could have a roast dinner from the lower oven. We have had it and it was lovely. I have now got a percolator sittijng on top and bubbling away with some coffee.The kitchen is very warm and it is at the heart of the house so it's cosy for the colder days.












The sock looks like it is pink, blue and white. It is really ruby, emerald, sapphire and amethyst! I'm thrilled with it and every ten rows on this sock, I do two rows on the red sock. I don't want that "forgot about it" look for the red sock and that ridge where the stitches have been left on the needle for too long.

I shall post a more realistic colour next time. It has been very rewarding doing the dyeing and then seeing it knit up so well. I can't wait to do more but must be careful not to enhance the stash too much, without realistic plans for items to knit.

There was an old teacher whose knitting

was, not always very well fitting.

So she cast on some socks

from stash in her box

and made plenty from where she was sitting!

Cheers to all, how about some more knitting limericks or even an ode to sock knitting? I'd organise a competition but I dont have the computer skills. Anyone want to join in. I'll do my best to do my share

5 Comments:

  • I'm not clever enough for limericks but I love this Pablo Neruda poem, "Ode to a pair of socks" from Odes to Common Things

    Maru Mori brought me
    a pair
    of socks
    that she knit with her
    shepherd's hands.
    Two socks as soft
    as rabbit fur.
    I thrust my feet
    inside them
    as if they were
    two
    little boxes
    knit
    from threads
    of sunset
    and sheepskin.

    My feet were
    two woolen
    fish
    in those outrageous socks,
    two gangly,
    navy-blue sharks
    impaled
    on a golden thread,
    two giant blackbirds,
    two cannons:
    thus
    were my feet
    honored
    by
    those
    heavenly
    socks.
    They were
    so beautiful
    I found my feet
    unlovable
    for the very first time,
    like two crusty old
    firemen, firemen
    unworthy
    of that embroidered
    fire,
    those incandescent
    socks.

    Nevertheless
    I fought
    the sharp temptation
    to put them away
    the way schoolboys
    put
    fireflies in a bottle,
    the way scholars
    hoard
    holy writ.
    I fought
    the mad urge
    to lock them
    in a golden
    cage
    and feed them birdseed
    and morsels of pink melon
    every day.
    Like jungle
    explorers
    who deliver a young deer
    of the rarest species
    to the roasting spit
    then wolf it down
    in shame,
    I stretched
    my feet forward
    and pulled on
    those
    gorgeous
    socks,
    and over them
    my shoes.

    So this is
    the moral of my ode:
    beauty is beauty
    twice over
    and good things are doubly
    good
    when you're talking about a pair of wool
    socks
    in the dead of winter.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 1:50 AM  

  • What a fabulous limerick and the socks are absolutely beautiful. Some dyeing is definately on my to-do list now.

    By Blogger Heide, At 7:07 AM  

  • The self-dyed, self-striping yarn is very impressive!! I like your plan for not forgetting about the red sock too. I have little bargains with myself for my multiple projects in order to not leave anyone out...

    By Blogger Lori, At 8:49 AM  

  • We had an old kitty named Ratfat who would actually try and climb into the woodstove while we were refueling it. He was almost blind and 20 and we were constantly having to pat out embers on his fur. To this day my parents still heat their home with a woodstove and we affectionately call it the "butt magnet" because everyone converges around it in the mornings and warms their... anyway. To cut and paste you simply select and highlight all that you wish to copy. While this is still highlighted you right mouse click. An option to "copy" will come up. Choose "copy" then later when you are back in the desired location right mouse click again and choose "paste". All that you copied will appear.

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:50 AM  

  • Hmm Not sure if I am up to a limerick yet. Will have to think about it.

    Perhaps saw what we had in our fire the other day. Completely freaked out my DP. He had just put a match to the paper when a bird appeared out of the chimmey!! It took a bit of getting out of the fire minus a few singled feathers!!

    By Blogger Beverley, At 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home