redumbrella

Friday, May 05, 2006

Lovely Day Out

This first picture is a rather lovely shot of the back garden with the young Crepe Myrtle changing colour with the autumn and the DIY garden Arbour and absolutey nothing to do with KNITTING...but it will happen!
It was my birthday today so we went to Werribee Open Zoo and went for a Tour in the Safari bus and saw...

Cheetahs. They are behind glass and do quite a bit of pacing, but they are very important because they are part of a shrinking gene pool. This one walked back and forth while we were there. That always worries me as a sign of STRESS in Zoo animals.

We took a short walk before the Safari Bus ride and woke up this little red-necked wallaby. About up to my knee tops but I am tall.

The Rhinos were asleep.

I got a wok for my birthday. I have never had a proper wok before and when we got back this afternoon, I cleansed it and had the first go at seasoning it. I have also got Kylie Kwong off the shelf so this weekend will be "Stir-Fry" with sichuan salt and pepper. Anything will get tossed in! OKAY so no knitting!. I took a sock with me to the Zoo and didn't need to. The red pair is finished and the second stripey is on the way. I'm hoping to make some self-striping yarn to take with me when I go to visit Mum next weekend. I know I can't knit on the plane but.....

Got lots of lovely books to talk about tomorrow

Cheers Gillian

3 Comments:

  • EEEEE! Happy Birthday! I hope you day was wonderful. I love the photo of you in your favorite knitting spot, and kitty firmly planted in the middle of your yarn is just too funny!

    By Blogger Shan, At 12:27 PM  

  • Happy Birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Gillian, Happy birthday to You! We are about 18 hours behind so it is still the 5th here, also known as Cinco DeMayo (Mexican Independence Day from Spain. So tonight many people here are celebrating by eating Mexican food and drinking margaritas. I'll raise a glass in honor of your big day.
    The view of your back yard is lovely! It looks like a truly relaxing retreat.
    Zoos make me feel guilty and sad for the animals. We try to take our girls as often as possible still and we emphasize to them the importance of keeping the animals wild when possible. There are just too many of us peoples in the world! :)

    By Blogger Heide, At 4:50 PM  

  • Happy Birthday Gillian. I wondered where you had been this week. I have been to the Werribee Zoo, although it was a few years ago. I loved it, especially the giraffes with their blue tongues. I tried to contact you via e-mail but it did not go through for some reason. Maybe I wrote down the wrong address. Thanks for the comment about the fan and feather shawl too. I have not seen this pattern, but maybe one day I will try it.

    By Blogger Sue, At 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home