redumbrella

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Good Things come in Pairs

I bought this lovely wool at the woolshop in Christchurch in Dorset near to where my sister lives (in Mudeford). It stripes up beautifully and the colours are quite striking. the label says "Sirdar, Town and Country". It is described as 'wool-rich' which in England, means about 75% wool and the rest acrylic/nylon to help with the wear and tear on the heels and toes. It takes a bit of wastage to get the second ball to the same starting stage, so that the stripes match.
I have been saving all the left over sock bits to put together to make a hairy-rary Joseph coat one day.



These socks are being knitted with some 4ply baby wool from Australia so they won't last long because they are too soft and will be easily worn out. My aunt was thrilled to receive them yesterday as I sewed in the last thread of yarn. She says she will wear them around the house as "comfort socks"
I managed to get the pooling to match in both socks, although it's so colourful, it's hard to notice.
I can't wait to get dyeing again and create my own colour combos.




Very hard to see, but here is the last of the pairs.
This paddock contains two Shetland pony mares, both of which have had a foal in the last ten days.
The youngest one is standing in the middle of the field and the older one is lying down on the left, next to Mum. I'm keeping an eye on them. They are just over the bridge and can only be seen if you walk by because the wall on the bridge is too high so that cars and their passengers miss out!
If they come closer to the fence I'll get a better pic. Or I suppose could buy a better camera.


Cheers for now Gillian

10 Comments:

  • Thank you Gillian for your wonderful comments. I am going to try some at home data base entry and see how that goes, so I can still pick Isabelle up and drop her off in the mornings. I love the Town & Country socks, beautiful colors. I have some in a blue colorway I think. I like your aunt's socks too, although Isabelle insists I should buy some of that 4 ply to make her some in the same color too. Cheeky girl she is. I love seeing all the photos of where you live, makes me want to live nearby too.

    By Blogger Sue, At 3:14 PM  

  • I can actually get Town & Country in my LYS. I was going to make socks in that colourful baby yarn, they look terrific. And if they wear out, you can always knit more!

    By Blogger amanda j, At 1:39 AM  

  • Beautiful socks. I think there's a place for all the different kinds of socks, long-wearing and soft socks are both important.

    It's nice that you have such a lovely countryside to enjoy.

    By Blogger Becky, At 9:14 AM  

  • Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :)

    Those are great socks and I hope you settle into your new home soon. You've picked a lovely spot from the looks of things.

    By Blogger Hellbelle, At 2:41 AM  

  • Gillian, I'm so glad that you're back in the blogosphere, I've missed you. The socks are beautiful, and I must say that your new surroundings are just heavenly... very pastoral. Hugs from across the pond.

    By Blogger Heide, At 5:34 AM  

  • Thank you for explaining "Up a gum tree." As it turns out, I've no need of directions, for much of my existence is spent up a gum tree. I just didn't know what to call it. Hope all is well.

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:28 AM  

  • Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog.
    Welcome to the North! Wolsingham is a beautiful place to live, hope you settle in well.
    The socks look beautiful, love the colours in the yarn

    By Blogger artyfartykat, At 11:07 AM  

  • I'm sorry to hear that you had to leave your sweet little kitty back in Australia, but I'm glad that she's living with kind people in a safe environment. Hope you're doing well.

    By Blogger Heide, At 4:12 PM  

  • You have had a very eventful year so far. I hope you settle into Wolsingham, it is a lovely place. The sock you were knitting on Friday is beautiful. The yarn I was using is Lucia sock yarn from Posh Yarn. Hope to see you at more Knitting groups. xx

    By Blogger Craftydramaqueen, At 7:18 AM  

  • Hi! I have some of the town and country wool just like yours. I'm new to knitting socks. Will this yarn work with any pattern or is there a specific pattern that works best? Thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, At 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home