redumbrella

Monday, May 08, 2006

I have spent a few hours preparing some more self-striping yarn to take away with me. I used the same colours as the "jewel" socks, but this is 8 ply and I didn't scour it first so it did not absorb the dye so well and is more pale and opalescent. I made two 180m balls so that I can make a pair of socks and maybe a beanie or something else with the left overs.

I wound the long skeins on door handles and then when finished with the dyeing and drying, wound them on to the niddy-noddy and then put them on the swift to go from there onto the ball winder.
I have done some more, using the bulk grey 5 ply I bought off ebay and dyed it with varying dark, medium and light blue. I did two hanks at once and will have plenty for two matching socks. At the moment it is drying on the "rapid dri" over one of the warm air vents.



It did occur to me that I could get away with using a Knitting Nancy while I'm on the plane. I got it out last night and did a quick reminder of how it worked. Fine! But if I can knitting nancy/ french knit/ I-cord at 30 cm per 15 minutes, how much will I do in 25 hours each way?
But Yes! Dear Reader, will someone yank it from my clutches and use it to throttle an unsuspecting person?
If they don't, what on earth do I do with 40 metres of I-cord (counting return journey too, and allowing for eating and toilet queues)?
It will keep my fingers from twitching during the journeys and I eagerly await your suggestions. I can't think of anything else to do and news is that even Domestic/Inter-State flights in Oz are still knitting no-noes.


This last picture is from Mason-Dixon Knitting page 51. I love this book because it breaks rules. I read somewhere, only last year that there was no real rule about knots in the middle of rows. It was just a fussiness. Sometimes you feel like being fussy and other times you dont. This picture shows satin bra straps holding up some finely knitted linen and I think they look lovely but I wouldn't wear them myself because I should not frighten the world by being that exposed, but others would look stunning in them.
Cheers Gillian

3 Comments:

  • I hate making I cords. This is a clever way to do it in advance for upcoming projects. Maybe you can make some of different lengths in different colors. The camisol top with bra straps is really cute. I'd only wear it with a shrug over the top while out in public though! My upper arms tend to keep waving long after I've stopped so sleeveless shirts of any kind are eschewed in public! I'm excited for you about the trip to England.

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:11 AM  

  • I agree with Heide re the I cords.Perhaps you could do them in one long cord but change colours as you could easily pull a thread to cut it into lengths later.

    As for projects hmmm you can use an idot cord to pick up stitchs from to create a border at the bottom of rib. So perhaps think of some projects and do some cords to try this cast on method. You could use cotton and make some place mats. Or check out some of Elizabeth Zimmermans books for more ideas. Or Megs for that matter. But I am sure there is heaps you could make them for. What a good idea!!

    But my suggestion is to take a stamped address bag with you so you can always post it back to yourself if customs/airlines get stroppy about you taking it on board. That way you won't lose it.

    I am rather green about you going into an English summer.

    Do enjoy your visit will look forward to hearing all about it. Oh and don't forget the camera.!! lol

    By Blogger Beverley, At 4:50 PM  

  • When I flew domestically recently I asked two different official types about knitting onboard, it is a definite no-no. I guess some psycho could overwhelm a knitter and take their needles to someone! Mind you, I get bomb vacuumed wherever I go! Must have a certain look about me.

    By Blogger amanda j, At 3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home