redumbrella

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Bendigo Bounty

I bought some really lovely wool from Cheryle at Andyle while I was at the show.
She has sheep which produce wool of this beautiful, almost black shade. I just bought one skein but she can provide more if I need it because it is undyed and plenty more where it came from. She calls this colour "midnight" and it is. At the Wool and Sheep Show I also got some lovely little bits of wood. On the left of the picture is a mini niddy-noddy. It slots together to make a small hand winder if you are "out and about" and need to take a niddy-noddy in your pocket. Ashford make them but if Taphophile
wants to add one to her woodwork list I'll draw a template for her. The two pieces slot into one another and make a niddy-noddy which winds a really small skein.
Then I treated myself to a hand-turned crochet hook. I say "treat" because I rarely crochet and I have to get the "How To" manual out if I feel the urge and also in the picture is a turned cardi-pin. All I have to do now is knit the cardi.

We wandered around and checked out the working sheep dogs and the prize winning sheep and alpacas. The alpacas are really cute and many are taken for walks around the show by their owners because they are very tame and can be patted as they go by.

Then we headed off to Bendigo Woollen Mill. It was busier than usual, probably because of people making a day of it with the show on too. There weren't any really cheap bargains that suited me in the back room but I was thrilled with my purchases of some more sock wool to dye,

Some 12ply in a discontinued colour for half price and
Some 12ply Rustic in a lovely dark green tweedy look, to knit myself a cardi and
Some light green cotton 8 ply at half price for a summer cardi.

Yep. My English origins are definitely showing up here. How many cardis can a woman need?

A "couple more" is always the answer.

Cheers Gillian

10 Comments:

  • Oh my! That Bendigo is lovely, especially the greens (I love me some green). Your trip out sounds like it was delightfully fun. Can't wait to see what kind of cardi you make. Will it be fair isle?

    By Blogger Heide, At 7:48 AM  

  • You certainly have got some nice yarn to knit some cardi's with. I hope the Bendigo Cotton is a lovely to knit with as it looks, I got some recently to do some summer tops.

    By Blogger Ruby Girl, At 4:11 PM  

  • Gee you really did outdo yourself. I can see your stash room is going to need a few more shelves with those wonderful purchases. The bendigo 12 ply looks gorgeous. I cannot wait to see what you knit it into.

    By Blogger Sue, At 5:16 PM  

  • I agree, you can never have enought cardis.

    By Blogger Rhonda, At 6:19 PM  

  • Oooh, good haul. Agree with you about the cardis. :)

    Oddly, I only saw that style of mini niddy noddy on a website on Saturday. Would love to attempt it. My mini niddy noddy is a much simpler design.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 1:50 AM  

  • Lovely yarn! The crochet hook is so pretty. I love pretty needles. :) My mom has some old Brittany walnut crochet hooks. Some day I'm going to borrow one and see how it feels to knit with it.
    Oh, and don't we always need one or two new sweaters in the wardrobe each year? Life would be so boring and unfashionable otherwise. LOL

    By Blogger Becky, At 12:04 PM  

  • Oh dear, seeing so much beautiful looking yarn is not good when one is on a yarn diet....

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:03 AM  

  • Lovin the Black yarn - looks great

    By Blogger Donyale, At 4:51 PM  

  • That cotton is so nice! What will you do with the black skein?

    By Blogger amanda j, At 3:20 PM  

  • Thank you for the information about the heirloom yarn! So far I'm really enjoying it.

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home