redumbrella

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

I"ll start this again!
I clicked Publish Post and my wonderful Prose with Alliteration disappeared. I'm pretty good at spelling, really good at vocabulary and absolutely brilliant at grammar. The trouble is, that I think I am the only person left in the world who cares about it.
The thing is, of course, that the English language is dynamic, it changes, it simplifies itself. There is no need to use ADVERBS any more. So people are no longer using them. When I pointed this out to my fave niece who is doing really well at Durham Uni, she actually looked at me as if to say "Wow"
When did you last use an adverb?
Oh! Gosh! I know I'll get Heide to respond if I make it a competition!!!
OKAY ITS A COMPETITION!
No matter where you are in the world, I will eventually dye and skein enough 4ply/sock weight for you to make a pair of adult socks, with some interesting dye stripes in your chosen colours.

I dont know how to do this properly but here's a starter..........I'm after the BEST use of the adverb "best". In order to show how you know it's an adverb, you have to use it in a sentence and then let me know that you know it's an adverb by doing something to it.

I'm off to bed now sow I will check this stuff in the morning
Cheers Gillian

10 Comments:

  • Awesome contest! Is "bestly" a word... what about "bestest"? This could prove interesting and entertaining. I'll put a notice on my blog about your contest. Since I don't have tons of regular readers you may want to ask everyone you know to do the same. When will the contest close and where do you want the answers sent? Would you like them just posted in the comments section for all of us to view or would you like them emailed to you and then you can review them and show them at your descretion? These last questions may have been answered already and I'll go back and re-read your post. I just woke up and I am in dire need of caffeine. Cheers!

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:57 AM  

  • Thankyou so much Heide. I had no idea how much better organised I had to be. Here goes...
    1)I shall give the contest till the 16th July. Ten days should be enough.
    2)Answers can be sent as comments to this posting and I will repeat the BEST three in a new posting after the 16th.
    3) Anyone can tell everyone about the contest because I'll need all the publicity I can get if I want more than three or four responses!
    Cheers Gillian.
    ps my dictionary doesn't have bestly

    By Blogger Gillian, At 4:02 PM  

  • The word "best" is an adverb, the superlative of the word "well". The comparative is "better". An example of the use of these words in proper context follows.

    Once upon a time there were three friends, Jennifer, Steve, and Marie. All of them took the SAT exam in their junior year of high school.

    Jennifer performed well on her SATs; she achieved a combined score of 1240. Steve performed better than Jennifer; his score was 1290. Marie, however, performed the best of the three friends; her score was 1300.

    By Blogger sheep#100, At 2:12 PM  

  • Although I tried as best as I could to come up with an example, in the end I decided it was best left alone.

    By Blogger Dave, At 10:09 PM  

  • Oops ... describing the verb "tried" and "left."

    By Blogger Dave, At 10:11 PM  

  • Whoever best performs this task will get the prize. Try your best. I will best him if I try hard enough. This is the best contest.

    Best #1 is an adverb that describes the verb "performs." Best #2 is a noun. Best #3 is a verb. Best #4 is and adjective that describes the noun "contest."

    I just LOVE grammar!

    By Blogger Becky, At 1:23 AM  

  • Okay, so my inspiration for your contest actually came from your next posting with the picture of Kitty napping contentedly upon the felted bed. Anyway, I did a cut and paste, and here it is:

    Kitty philosphy, aka the Tao of Miow says, "He who naps longest naps best."

    Best being used to describe the verb "naps". Although I still believe an argument for bestly could be made! ha

    By Blogger Heide, At 4:25 PM  

  • Well done all of you so far. I'm over-awed. I shall have to work out some criteria to help me judge who bests best as fairly as possible. I'll come back with a short list of criteria soon so that you can adjust your responses if you wish.
    Cheers Gillian

    By Blogger Gillian, At 6:24 PM  

  • I think you should know best how to dye the yarn for this contest. (best modifies the verb "should know") He who laughs last laughs best. (best modifies Laughs)

    By Blogger PBnJ, At 7:08 PM  

  • "Well, better, best - the best will best the better."

    Just to prove that I can use 'best' as an adverb and a verb in the same sentence.

    First time I have seen a grammar-based blog competition, very refreshing!

    I use adverbs quite a lot. My favorite is 'winsomely'.

    By Blogger Sheeprustler, At 11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home