redumbrella

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Not So Much Knitting and a Bit More Cooking

I've been busy making jars of stuff. Actually I should say "we've" been busy because Robert has been very helpful with the tedious chores. At the market, once a month, I sell about 50 jars of stuff and so every month I have to make about 50 jars of stuff, to keep up the stock.
What I have here is (in clockwise order from the top left) English Pub Chutney, Summer Berry and Juniper Jam, Dried Apricot and Almond Jam, Lime Curry Pickle, Kashmir Chutney and last but not least Gherkin Relish.
Only a couple of jars of the relish because a woman asked me to have a go at making some. Her daughter lives on it and the only brand she can buy in the supermarket is really, bright, emerald green. She wanted to know if I could make some without all the added numbers on the nutrition label that designate the colours and preservatives. I did quite well and then to my own dismay, realised I had used gherkins with numbers on the label! This year we will plant lots more cucumbers so that we can overcome the number s problem by making our own gherkins.
Next week I will make the Lemon Curd/Butter so that it is fresh.






I'm in the process of making some more "English Pub Chutney". I call it this because it attracts people's interest and they taste it and like it and then buy it. It is a very simple green tomato, green apple, onion and raisin chutney and is the sort that they seem to serve in English Pubs with a "Ploughman's Lunch" or even a plain and simple cheese sandwich. Please let me know if you want any of my recipes. I don't post them because this is primarily a knitting blog but if I'm not knitting I'm stirring away in the kitchen.



I also show you this picture of a tile that is behind the gas cook top. The tiles are scattered amongst the plain cream ones and each show a different herb and a rhyme from a Mediaeval Herb book. I didn't realise what this one said for a few months after I had the tiling done and then I read it more closely.
The herb is Solomon's Seal, which I don't know about but the advice is ...
The root of Solomon's Seal stamped while it is fresh and greene and applied, taketh away in one night, or two at the most, any bruise, black or blew spots gotten by fals or women's wilfulnesse in stumbling upon their hasty husbands fists, or such like. Gerard's Herbal
Thank goodness I don't need any for the prescribed causes but it might be handy for a general bruise.
I have done some knitting and the Jet Cardi No. 1 in Bendigos' Rustic has reached...back and half a front...stage
Last but not least, next door's Camelia tree which I can see from the kitchen window and in which the blackbirds return to nest each year, is blossoming. There is always one branch which gives a mutant with light pink outer petals with dark pink inner petals. Here is one alongside it's unitone siblings.
I shall go and ponder it again now while I do a steak and chips lunch.


Cheers to all, Gilian

5 Comments:

  • Well you have been very busy havent you. I love that cardigan that you are making. What a beautiful color and I am sure it will look quite lovely on you. You are such a quick knitter. Do you ever knit jumpers for Robert as well. It does look as though you and Robert have been very busy cooking all of your jams and chutneys. It will be a major production one day.

    By Blogger Sue, At 2:04 AM  

  • My goodness - busy girl. I think just standing in your kitchen sniffing would be heaven.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 2:15 AM  

  • Your cardigan is really "jetting" along! Sorry, I couldn't refuse. Your chutney sounds delightful and I would love to try it should you post the recipe! Our apples are coming into season and new recipes are always welcome. Don't overdo all of the cooking, etc., that is so much work. Cheers.

    By Blogger Heide, At 8:01 PM  

  • I'm keen for the chutney recipe!

    By Blogger Donyale, At 4:32 PM  

  • Hmm very productive...

    We have just been given a large bag of grapefruit so guess it will be marmalade on the weekend.

    Have a good marmalade recipe as I am not happy with the one I have been using. A tired an true one would be good.

    Cheers

    By Blogger Beverley, At 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home