redumbrella

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Got Rid of the Blues

I have a penchant for 4ply. I like the less bulky. So, I bought some lovely, light blue 4ply cotton to knit a summer top.
That was six weeks ago and in the mean time the cotton has been the makings of three jumpers. I have not liked any of them. It has not knitted up smoothly and I think that I need to consider a smaller needle than that recommended but I certainly don't want to do that now. I have now decided to "bag" it all away and find it again one or two years later in the eternal stash.
Even the needles have gone away with it because not only do I have a pair of needles in grey metal, faux tortoiseshell and anodised in every size needed, my mother has the same again and tried for the third time to give me her collection three days ago.
but I needed something new to knit so..... Sue and Isabelle gave me Bloke the bear and he certainly agrees with the new project..
It was a bit tricky getting started with three needles and five stitches! After three goes I cheated and cast on on a straight needle and knitted it until I had ten stitches and then placed them into 3/3/4/. New row hits in when the four pattern section comes up. After a while there were enough stitches to fit onto a circular needle. I am still pulling all the stitches to the start and then joining them to the finish of the last row with a loop in the needle but the circular is now filling up and the routine of the pattern is easy once it has been established.
I think I probably twisted one of the original needles and so the pattern at the centre is not as daisified as it is meant to be but I'm happy with it so I will knit on.
I shal be taking my mother's friends to the hospital tomorrow because some serious tests need doing so I will be glad to have this baby-banket with me.
Cheers for now Gillian

4 Comments:

  • The baby blanket is looking wonderful so far, and I am glad that Blake is keeping you company and approving of the knitting too. I thought for a minute you were going to knit him a jumper! I love the 4ply blue cotton too, so I hope when it has had a bit of time out it will behave itself for you. Hope you are keeping well too, and getting lots of knitting done. I am sure the blanket will be finished in no time, and who is going to be the recipient.

    By Blogger Sue, At 4:51 PM  

  • Lovely knitting! Sometimes you just need to put things away for a rainy day - you don't want to dislike the shiny lovely blue cotton!

    By Blogger amanda j, At 6:00 PM  

  • I love the baby blanket, what a unique pattern! The blue is beautiful, but I have my own issues with cotton and cotton blend yarns right now... grrrr. I hope the tests have good results and that your Mom's friend is well.

    By Blogger Heide, At 8:18 PM  

  • I love the look of that baby blanket. It will be absolutely gorgeous when finished.
    And what a lovely Bloke. I'm so glad he approves of your work.

    By Blogger Sue H, At 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home