redumbrella

Sunday, June 24, 2007

I made it!!!
It got a bit boring now and then but once you've started, it's so easy that you can do it without needing to count or measure. I soon learned to recognise whether I was on an increase row or a follow-up by the shape of the stitch at the increase places. I made a few mistakes which show to the experienced eye but I hope they do not detract too much. Anyway I only discovered them when it was too late to turn back.
I bougt a 100cm addi turbo circular from Kangaroo, thinking it would do the job but, I ended up spending so much time squeezing the knitting around the needle that I trawled the net for a longer one. I ended up with a 200cm addi turbo from www.kcgtrading.com ( Knitting and Crochet Guild).
I have spent decades knitting without addi turbos. Why did I take so long to discover them? What am I going to do with all the shoddier needles that I own?


The pattern for the blanket was illustrated with a load of tiny pompoms sewn around the edge but I couldn't face making the necessary hundreds so I cast off using a "frilled cast off" method from Montse Stanley's book. I find "The Knitters Handbook "is a worthwhile investment. I learned to knit before I went to school and once I could read I taught myself to follow patterns but I never learned all those little tricks and finishes. This book has all of them.
I surfed the net for that illusive equation that allows you to leave just enough yarn to cast off with. Eventually I came to the conclusion that 4x the last row is good enough so I doubled it for the frilled cast off and then added a bit more. I ended up with a tail of less than three metres which wasn't bad seeing as I started with a ball of 200gm of 4ply baby wool which could have been well over half a mile in length.


I've done a close up of the finish here. It blocked out really well and drapes beautifully. The baby is due in August in Australia so I shall have plenty of time to pack it up in tissue and send it off.
I'm waiting for an insurance assessor to come next Thursday and check out the broken spinning wheel and the packaging it came in. Once they have been I can see whether I can do anything to fix it at all. I'm not too good with tools but I'll have a go. One of the things I have to do is remove the hub pin so that I can get the wheel off to see if it can be re-glued in any way.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers to all Gillian

11 Comments:

  • This is beautiful.

    I think I have been driving near you recently-twice, up the A1 to Scotland. Past The Angel Of The North.

    By Blogger Unknown, At 12:42 PM  

  • Gorgeous blanket Gillian. I love it, and I am sure the baby's mum will absolutely adore it too. I hope your spinning wheel can be fixed too, as I know how much you really love spinning. Is there a handyman nearby that has any knowledge of such things that could help you out. Perhaps an advert in a local shop would help.

    By Blogger Sue, At 5:34 PM  

  • It's lovely Gillian; what a lot of work and to such good effect :).

    Hope the spinning wheel is back in working order soon.

    Pity about the Tupperware and if we were nearer I could lend you a wheel, too.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 12:15 AM  

  • What a gorgeous blanket! It is amazing and I think you made the right choice with the frilled cast off. Pompoms would be too much.

    Good luck with the wheel.

    By Blogger amanda j, At 1:50 AM  

  • I love the blanket just as it is. Pompoms would have presented a choking hazard for a wee one and I'm surprized they were on the original pattern. I love my addis! I purchased a pair of addi lace needles and they are so amazing. Good luck with the wheel.

    By Blogger Heide, At 6:19 AM  

  • The blanket is gorgeous -- a wonderful way to welcome a new baby!

    By Blogger Becky, At 8:04 PM  

  • The yarn made it! And I'm pleased it did, it looks beautiful.
    I'm always amazed at the difference blocking makes to a blanket or shawl.

    By Blogger artyfartykat, At 1:51 PM  

  • Gorgeous, I wish I had seen this before I had knit the baby blanket that I knit for my brother's baby. It looks much nicer than the boring old square I did! And looking at your past posts, those buildings (in Wolsingham) are just beautiful. I would adore living in a town like that. It's a shame there is nothing much like it in Australia.

    By Blogger NattyChick, At 5:47 PM  

  • That baby blanket is fabulous, what a lucky bub who receives it.
    Good luck with your spinning wheel. Being hopeless with tools myself, I wouldn't even try to advise you.

    By Blogger Sue H, At 6:38 PM  

  • Wow, Gillian, that's amazing. I'm so pleased you had enough yarn to cast off! Hope the visit from the insurers was good news.

    By Blogger acrylik, At 2:52 AM  

  • I've seen problems with blankets like these not sitting flat, yours certainly doesn't have that and is perfect in every way.

    Gorgeous.

    By Blogger knitabulous, At 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home