redumbrella

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

If The Sock Fits...Knit Another One!

I was pretty sure all the way through this sock, that I would be searching for a person with ONE very slim, long foot, to wear it. In the end though, it fits so well that I can't believe it. So I have started on its pair straight away.
I have been so enthralled with it that even though there have been some mini-disasters along the way, I have been searching for sock wool to dye at home so that I can make some unique ones. I shall stick to 4ply. The Patonyle was really good to work with although it has a tendency to split up as you knit it and it's so smooth, dropped stitches ladder right down very easily. The LYS has a few shades to choose from but dyeing will be more fun. I tried Spotlight in Geelong, yesterday, but they don't seem to do sock wool, only baby-wear 4ply. Couldn't ask the assistant. She was busy on her mobile!

Anyway, for any other beginners out there, here's a list of the things I found I should have known before I started

1) Research a few patterns and read a manual or two. eg Creative Knitting (OZ) Issue 4 for 8ply/double knitting and Knitting Pattern for Basic Socks for a 4ply/sockwool thickness. http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/socksbasic.htm This helps you to get used to the terminology.

2) Don't bother with a fancy cast-on if you've never done one before. I used the cast-on my mother taught me when I was five, but I thought it would be nice to have a tubular cast on like in Montse Stanley's Knitter's Handbook but I wasted a day trying it and some other easier looking ones. Just make sure it's not too tight and will constrict blood flow!

3) Use a straight needle to cast on and then transfer the stitches to the dpns on the first row taking care not to twist them.

4) I followed the diagram in Standfield and Griffiths' Encyclopedia of Knitting, which shows the knitting coming up through the needles like a crown as you knit and each time you put an empty needle on the last needle is above it and the third needle is below it. That really helped because I was all needles and not much knitting for quite a while.

5) Each time you join a new needle, keep the first AND the second stitch tight a la EZ. Take care, when you select a needle from all those clasped in your left hand for the next section of knitting, that it is the one with NO stitches on it!

6) If a stitch drops (never blame yourself, stitches on dpns have a mind of their own) try a fine crochet hook but after a couple of hours, give up and frog below the dropped-stitch-round and try to pick them up again.



The second sock is on the needles now and I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the completion date of the entire PAIR of socks not just a stitch perfect first one.

OK, I'm not perfect so please tell me what I can do to get rid of the gaping holes at each ankle?

Going to make some more efforts on the blog site soon, Thanks to all for great advice, Cheers Gillian Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

  • Gillian,
    The sock looks fabulous and the kitty seems extremely interested in your accomplishment too. I'm forever knocking stitches off the needles... I blame it on the M.S., but I've always done this with double points. I don't know if this is the orthodox way to avoid the holes when turning heels, but I twist the stitch intentionally. Experienced knitters would probably have a more conventional way to solve this, but I don't know it. Well, it's time to drive my two eldest daughters to school. have a great day!

    By Blogger Heide, At 7:13 AM  

  • Hi

    Meant to post this yesterday and got a bit tied up with the template on my blog.

    Great news about the second sock, pics!!!?? I have lurking about my UFO's two started pairs of socks. One I have actually finished one and ran out of steam before I did the other, now if I can just remember which pattern and where...? The other I have barely cast on.

    I keep meaning to try again as "everyone" seems to be knitting them and it would be nice to be able to wear ones own but never seem to get around to it. Perhaps when I have finished one or two things, such as tomatoes.! lol.

    Have a great day. :)

    >^..^<

    By Blogger Beverley, At 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home