redumbrella

Friday, June 02, 2006

Travels with Socks


The picture to the left shows the view from my Mother's kitchen window. She lives in Durham, a city in the north-east of England. It is full of history and grand and wonderful buildings such as a Cathedral and Castle but this structure is my favourite.
It is the Railway Viaduct, built over 150 years ago to carry the Great North Eastern Railway from London to Edinburgh. The "Flying Scotsman" still crosses it regularly as do countless goods trains and commuter links.


I woke early each morning at first and so I sat and knitted until the rest of the city stirred. I finished the striped socks and beanie and the blue-grey pair I had dyed some wool for before I left.
They suffered a grave misfortune when my mother swept up the knitting which I had left on the floor, in her wonderful battery powered carpet sweeper. Many metres of wool were lost in the workings and it took a bit of time to unravel but fortunately there was still plenty to finish the socks
They were followed by three more pairs in two weeks!
I obviously spend far more time on the computer than I realised and without it was able to make super progress on all the socks and even visited Polly's in Wingate to purchase more sock yarn.
I'll show this to you tomorrow because I need to do something about my jet-lag right now.

3 Comments:

  • Glad you're home safely and with so many projects to show for it. Durham is a beautiful city and the view from the window is pretty amazing.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 2:30 AM  

  • Welcome back! I hope you had a wonderful visit with your Mum and family. What a spectacular view! And the socks and hat are just lovely.

    By Blogger Heide, At 7:00 AM  

  • Goodness I did not think that you talked that much. Mum and I had a wonderful day out with you. I cannot believe that you lost your voice. I hope that you rest up in bed and maybe you can read the sock book. I love reading about your trip overseas too. You did not say anything about the carpet sweeper sucking up your wool though. Well I hope that you feel better by Thursday and I will see you then. Best Wishes.

    By Blogger Sue, At 5:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home