redumbrella

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Healthy Wealthy and Wise.


Early to bed and early to rise, makes a "man" healthy wealthy and wise. Well that's a big fat lie. I've been trying my best. Every night I say to myself "A good nights sleep and you feel much better in the morning" It hasn't worked.
This virus takes me by surprise and lets me feel well for a couple of hours and then hits me with a "must lie down and groan" feeling.
Some knitting has been done but not much to show. The lovely jade coloured wool is from Bendigo and is a wool, alpaca, silk mix. It is luxuriously soft and I'm using it to knit a plain sleeveless vest for a friend of my mother's. I really needed to do it in 4ply but it has to be this colour and the 8ply turned up first. Anyway I haven't got a pattern for a 4ply one, although I could probably work one out.


I also made some purchases at the Coburg Town Hall. I'm so glad Andyle were there. I have been wanting some of the silk and merino blend and treated myself to the white (snowdrop) which I think will make a lovely cabled scarf.
Something classically aran perhaps. I fantasize because I'm not a good cabler, but maybe now that I have got the hang of a handful of dpns for sock knitting, I will have greater success with a cable or two



Then I bought a couple of skeins of 8ply wool. Such lovely soft stuff, it was impossible to put it down and Sue grabbed the third and last one.
Actually, she kindly swapped her longer skein for one of my shorter ones so that I might have enough for a sleeveless vest.
I am knitting this for myself so I risk doing it without a pattern and in order to make the yarn go the distance, I am using large needles and a loose tension. This has the advantage of letting me knit a long enough vest for my tall frame but the pattern and the regularity of yarn are lost in the looseness. I shall be able to press it into some sort of smoothness but it is a lesson on using the right sized needle for the yarn. I have been doing a loose basket weave effect on it to camouflage its irregularities. I can almost hear myself thinking "frog it". The yarn is too lovely to misuse...
Alas we will all have to wait for the next instalment, to find out the kismet of this piece.
Cheers Gillian

2 Comments:

  • Lovely yarn. Sorry to hear about you being under the weather. I really like the green sweater! Happy knitting.

    By Blogger Heide, At 12:51 PM  

  • Love the blue yarn - fantastic colour. Good luck with the vest, would be a pity to not get what you want out of the beautiful yarn.

    Hope you're feeling better. I got drugs today, hope they kick in soon.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home