redumbrella

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Cheese Scones

I haven't any fresh photos but I have had a good read of all my favourite blogs and have made some comments on them. I noticed that I commented on how lovely the CHEESE scones were at the Bowes in Barnard Castle. At 1.60 pounds each ( my machine does not print pound sterling signs) they aren't cheap but they are always wonderful and their standard is dependable. I would give them 8/10.
Today I had a freshly baked one at the cafe in Westgate Department Store in Newgate in Bishop Auckland. It was not as expensive and I can't remember exactly how much but it was much lighter, however, it was sweet! I would only give it 7/10 even though it was lovely because the tea shop at the Bowes has set a high standard.
I hope that I shall find 9/10 and even the 10/10 standard soon. It seems to be a quest that is worthy. I hope to have advice from you all as to where to search and where and when to taste.
You can even try to direct me to "foolproof" recipes. I am, however, a major fool at scone baking.
Cheers for now Gillian

3 Comments:

  • I've never tried a cheese scone before, but it sounds like it would be delightful. Oh to be rich, then I could fly over and join you in your quest for the perfect scone... sorry, I'm back to realty. Hope all is well with you.

    By Blogger Heide, At 8:41 AM  

  • I don't know about it being a foolproof recipe, but instead of rubbing the butter/margarine into the flour, try melting it in with the milk, then stirring the butter/milk in with a knife. When the dough has come together, handle just enough to smooth it out and flatten it. Too much handling causes toughness. If adding cheese (with a pinch of cayenne or paprika) or other flavourings, do so before adding wet incredients. I don't roll the dough, merely flatten with the hand, then cut into the size you want. If you want round scones, just pat into shape. Also, I find a slightly moist dough works best.

    By Blogger Sue H, At 7:14 PM  

  • Tesco's cheese scones are sweet too, URGH! Home made are best. Coleman's mustard powder in mine rather than paprika (paprika would be good though!).

    By Blogger ra, At 1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home