redumbrella

Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Finished Garment (Well Nearly)!

I have been sitting at the window shown in this picture, glancing at the town of Darlington while I knit. The urge to make a new garment came over me last Thursday and I searched the internet patterns and fell in love with "Montparnasse" by Berocco in their favourite free patterns section and then on Friday I headed off into town to find Becky at her stall at the craft market.

She had some fabulous wool from Wensleydale Longwool SheepShop.



I wanted it in the grey but there were only a couple of balls available so I headed off to visit the shop near Leyburn in North Yorkshire to get some.

You know what it's like when you want to start on something right away.

Luckily I found the place and they had a gorgeous dark grey called "Storm". It took half an hour to get there and an hour and a half to get home because school was out in Richmond (I did a little detour) and everyone in North Yorkshire seems to go to school in Richmond.

But at last I got back home with quite a few knitting hours left in the day and sat down and cast on. A couple of glitches.....My tension was up the spout and I had to start again after a few inches.....I was short by one ball of wool because I knitted it longer, but I phoned them and the shop had one to me the next day.....The armholes were too tight but instead of undoing the sleeves and re-knitting them, I knitted a gusset for each oxter.

There it is in the picture waiting for me to pick up and knit about 220 stitches around the opening. I managed to get some kilt pins and a circular needle in town. I love Darlington. It sells everything I want, on the doorstep.

With luck and a neat stitch pick-up I will be able to finish it in time to wear it next week on my holiday to the Highlands of Scotland. Highlands, Loch Ness, Skye and John O'Groats.


I would have finished it sooner but my waterclour painting lessons have taken up some time too. We've done a lot of trees, foliage and bark and some attempts at water. They look good from a distance!

The holiday is a bus tour so I shall take a couple of socks to finish to complete a couple of pairs as well as a sudoku book, a couple of paperbacks and a big map of the Highlands so that I can map-read all the way and keep a track of where we are going. I cannot travel without a map.

More news on my return.
Cheers Gillian

5 Comments:

  • What a fabulour view from the window. The top looks great and will be warm in the Scottish Highlands. You are clever with painting now added to all the other clever things you do.

    By Blogger Ruby Girl, At 7:47 PM  

  • The knitting looks wonderful Gillian and I really like the pattern. I hope you enjoy your holiday. Remember to take lots of pics to show us. I didnt realise you were such a talented painter too, they look wonderful.

    By Blogger Sue, At 11:00 PM  

  • That pattern is marvellous. Love the look of the yarn, too. Hope your trip to the Highlands is fun. One day, again, one day.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 1:05 AM  

  • Wow! You really knocked that sweater out quickly. Your view of Darlington is enviable. One of my great grandparent's last names was Darlington. I wonder if the family came from that town... hmmm, I'll have to check with my aunt who has completed a thorough geneology. Your water colours are beautiful! That is the hardest kind of painting to learn how to master and you appear to have a knack. I especially love the tree on top. I hope your trip to Scotland goes splendidly and that you enjoy a wonderful getaway.

    By Blogger Heide, At 9:38 PM  

  • Love the cardigan, and I'm sure it will be very useful when in the highlands.
    Love those water colours, what a talented lady you are.
    I know what you mean about needing a map when you travel, my dad is just the same; tends to send my mum mad. lol

    By Blogger Sue H, At 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home