redumbrella

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Highlands and Islands

I managed to complete the cardigan while I was at Knit and Natter in Bishop Auckland on the Friday and Carrie Anne kindly took a photo of me in it to show you. Of course, dark grey does not photograph well but then, neither do I.
I wore it on the coach on the way up to Scotland on Monday and it was light, warm and comfortable. Sadly I now have to find a way to neatly darn up the large hole created by the kilt pin dragging on the soft wool!!!




To restore my spirits I have started on the football of tops I bought at the Wensleydale Longwool Sheepshop. It is a natural silvery brown and is so easy to spin. Yes that is my foot to the right to give you some idea of the size.


The journey to Scotland was long because we were based in the town of Garve and so we were well up into the Highlands. The hotel was very good and well organised to cater for the large numbers of people who all want to be fed at the same time. Our room is the top right in this picture and we looked over woodland and hills.

The nights were silent and black.
The days were spent visiting the Isle of Skye, lochs, castles, Culloden, Inverness and John O'Groats. We were very lucky with th eweather and were able to enjoy some lovely views and autumn colours.








This is a very small selection of the views.
















I'm still searching for the best cheese scone and have a few to report on.
Since arriving in Darlington I have had a couple of local ones. The Arts Centre cafe does a formidable one for only a pound. It is the largest one I have ever seen and weighs in at quite a few ounces. It is tasty but hard going towards the end. Probably TOO BIG. 6/10
Coffee at Elliots did a pleasing-to-the-eye golden scone and I shared it with my sister ( that was so that we could fit in a slice of cheesecake as well). She declared it just right but I found it too salty and costly, so we gave it 6.5/10. We had one at Catkins too but I was a bit sconed-out and can't remember it so I will have to return soon.
Whilst in Scotland I had a towering, speckled orange one at a place where the coaches stop but I can't remember which one, so although it was surprisingly lovelier than it looked, it doesn't get a rating.


Cheers to all
Gillian

7 Comments:

  • Sounds like you had a grand time. Interesting to hear how well the Wensleydale spins. I just bought some Wensleydale yarn and it feels gorgeous.

    The great scone quest. The best I've had (plain, not cheese) was at Nambucca Heads Red Cross Tea Rooms just this last winter. Second best, the Which Craft store in Harden. Bit far for you to go now, though.

    By Blogger Taphophile, At 1:08 AM  

  • The jacket looks lovely Gillian, and I cant believe that your hair has grown so much too. You always said it would take you ages to grow it again, but now it seems as though it is. The places you visited sound wonderful and look so pretty too. Its nice to hear you had such a lovely time away.

    By Blogger Sue, At 2:06 AM  

  • Gillian, the sweater is just lovely and so are you! You look so happy. Your recount of the holiday to Scotland has me wanting to renew my passport and jump on a plane. I've never tried a cheese scone before. What kind(s) of cheese are in one and are they sweet? Enjoy spinning your new roving and stay warm.

    By Blogger Heide, At 9:37 AM  

  • What a lovely cardigan and gorgeous scenery! It is so different to Australia - the history is soooo long.

    By Blogger amanda j, At 2:20 PM  

  • Nice cardigan and picture of you. I gave the address for the Hemlock blanket in my comments, but thougt I would leave it here. His blog is Brooklyn Tweed, the address is: www.brooklyntweed.blogspot.com
    I have just sorted out the graph (from row 88 on).

    By Blogger Ruby Girl, At 4:40 AM  

  • Looks like you had a great trip and those photo's are fabulous. Pity about the hole in your jacket. Perhaps a plastic "chopstick" type pin would be better.

    By Blogger Sue H, At 8:53 PM  

  • I am so excited that I have found your blog. I am originally from Yarm, near Darlington currently living in SIngapore.

    All the places you are talking about make me nostalgic, and my parents had a big caravan in Wensleydale which we went to every weekend for a good 7 months of the year.

    And I'm an avid knitter. Oh, and I make a mean cheese scone.

    So happy to have found you

    By Blogger Navel Gazer, At 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home